Saturday, June 5, 2010

Through the Looking Glass : Karin Borghouts

"I started this series in 2001 with a single image. A fake rock and stairs in a zoo. I immediately had the feeling that this was what I had to communicate. I continued photographing artificial places and 'decors' in zoos and amusement parks for several years. The images I created were not only registrations of these strange places: I also have the strong feeling that they function as a metaphor for 'art'. On the photograph the place transforms into a kind of fiction, a place in between reality and imagination, although nothing has been manipulated or composed. The decors depicted look like paintings, sculptures, art installations, drawings: ARTificial scenes."
-Karin Borghouts








all images © Karin Burghouts

No comments: